This easy egg casserole with heavy cream is made with just eggs, sausage, heavy cream, cheese, ham, and some seasonings and will take only a few minutes to make!
Most egg casserole recipes are made using milk. However, if you’re looking for another way to make your egg casseroles with milk substitutes, then you will really enjoy this fluffy and tender heavy cream egg casserole recipe.
It is hearty, and satisfying, and makes the perfect breakfast for the entire family. This recipe takes boring eggs and turns them into a dish that everyone will really enjoy!
And the best part is, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are kitchen staples you’re likely to have!
Ingredients for fluffy heavy cream egg casserole
- Heavy cream – Since this is an egg casserole made without milk, I used heavy cream as a substitute. The heavy cream helps to add that moisture that milk is responsible for adding to the egg bake recipe. It also adds some extra richness and creaminess. You can also choose to dilute the heavy cream so the consistency is closer to that of milk. It’s quite easy to do, just use equal parts heavy cream and water and use this mixture as a substitute for milk in an egg bake recipe. As an example, for this recipe, which uses ⅓ cup (or 2.7 fluid oz of heavy cream), use 1.35 fluid ounces of water and 1.35 fluid ounces of heavy cream to get a consistency closer to milk.
- Breakfast sausage – You can substitute it with ground pork or ground beef instead.
- Garlic powder – You can substitute it with garlic flakes, onion powder, or Italian seasoning
- Chopped ham – Adds a nice savory flavor to the casserole.
- Eggs – Use room temperature eggs. They will beat better and rise better in the oven.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Can use either mild or sharp cheddar here.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – You can also use provolone or Swiss cheese instead.
- Crumbled feta cheese – Can use substitutes like goat cheese or cottage cheese here instead.
How to make egg casserole with heavy cream
Start by gathering all of your ingredients in one place and preheating the oven to 375F.
Cook the sausage in some oil until they’re nicely browned. Then add the garlic powder and cook for 30 more seconds, then transfer the cooked sausage to a baking dish.
Next, beat the eggs with the heavy cream, salt, and pepper, and fold in half of the cheddar and all of the chopped ham.
Pour this mixture of eggs, heavy cream, cheddar, and ham over the cooked sausage in the baking dish.
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar, crumbled feta, and mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes.
Once baked, cool the casserole.
Then slice and serve!
Storing and freezing egg casserole with cream
To store any egg casserole leftovers simply place the leftovers in an air-tight container and store for up to 4 days.
If you’re planning to freeze this baked casserole, place the leftovers in an air-tight container and freeze for up to 4 months.