Just how do you actually make a homemade heavy cream substitute for Alfredo sauce? This is something many people want to know. If you’re such a person, keep reading to see exactly how to make heavy cream for Alfredo sauce in a few minutes!
If you’re craving a delicious Alfredo sauce but have no heavy cream available, we’ll teach you how to make your own heavy cream with kitchen staples so you can find a handy substitute for heavy cream in any Alfredo sauce recipe or Alfrdo pasta dish.
Yes, that’s right! You can make your own heavy cream right from your kitchen! Who even knew?!
Can you use milk in place of heavy cream in Alfredo sauce?
Homemade heavy cream is quite easy to make in this case and it only requires three easy to find staple ingredients.
To make heavy cream for Alfredo sauce, you will need:
- Milk – Regular whole milk or 2% milk is ideal for this recipe, but, almond milk is okay for a dairy-free version.
- All purpose flour – A few tablespoons of all purpose flour is all you will need.
- Butter – This is used to help make a roux to enhance the flavor and thickness of the white sauce without heavy cream.
- Garlic – Minced garlic for adding a nice flavor.
When you’re ready to make this diy heavy cream replacement for white sauce, do so by following these simple steps.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add equal parts butter and flour and 1 clove of minced garlic. Usually ¼ cup or 4 tablespoons of each -butter and flour- is ideal.
- Whisk these together to combine and cook for 3 minutes so that the flour loses its raw taste and the butter and flour form a slightly brown roux.
- Next step is to stir in 2 cups of milk gradually while whisking so that the milk is fully incorporated into the roux. Do this until al the milk is stirred in, then gently simmer this flour, butter, milk and garlic mixture.
- Finally, add in your grated Parmesan, and your seasonings to taste and there you have it! A delicious Alfredo sauce without heavy cream!
Homemade heavy cream variations for Alfredo sauce
Another popular way to make a simple cream substitute for Alfredo sauce is with milk, butter and cornstarch. To make, simply add 4 tablespoons of cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of butter to a saucepan and make a roux.
Then gradually add in 2 cups of milk and whisk until everything is well combined. Simmer on low heat then use this mixture to make a delicious Alfredo sauce!
Other variations include a mixture of all-purpose flour, butter and half and half. Add 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to a saucepan, then whisk on medium heat until a roux is made.
Next gradually add in 2 cups of half and half while whisking continuously. Do this until all the half and half is incorporated.
These are a few of the methods you can use to make a cream recipe for Alfredo sauce from scratch.
These ideas utilize staple ingredients that you most likely already have in your fridge like butter, milk, half and half and all-purpose flour which most people have in the pantry.
The best part is that these homemade heavy cream substitute recipes are tried and true! And, they make for a rich, indulgent white sauce that works for pizza, soups, lasagna, pasta and more!
You’ll never have to worry about a heavy cream replacement that work specifically for alfredo sauce ever again!